Whether your silver, stainless steel, brass or copper items are heirlooms or everyday necessities, you can easily keep them gleaming and free of tarnish.
First, prevent tarnish by keeping metals dry. Tarnish, which can dull or destroy metals, results when oxygen in the air contacts moisture on metal. Creating a moisture barrier with Goddard's metal cleaners and polishes can help stop tarnish before it starts.
Protect, preserve and polish all your metal items safely and effectively with these metal care tips from Goddard's:
- Apply metal cleaner with a clean, soft, lint-free cloth, turning the cloth frequently to expose a fresh, unsoiled surface.
- Use metal cleaner generously on ornate objects, removing the excess with a wet sponge.
- Rub metals with straight, back-and-forth motions rather than circles to maintain a uniform appearance.
- Maintain a metal's shine by avoiding the use of abrasive cleaners, steel wool or scouring pads, which can scratch and dull metals.
- Separate stainless steel and sterling silver in the dishwasher. A chemical reaction between them can leave black spots on the silver.
- Use only diluted dishwashing detergents on metals. Contact with undiluted detergents can damage a metal's finish.